- Avaz - Communication app that includes Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) tools for teaching parents.
- TouchChat - An app that uses Word Power to help students communicate.
- Proloquo - An app that uses a layered categorical system to help teach and promote communication.
Assistive Technology (AT)
- AAC Language Lab - Online resource that offers real-life solutions in support of language development.
- AbleNet - A company that makes and sells technology, curriculum, and other resources for AT and those with special needs.
- QIAT-PS - The Quality Indicators in Assistive Technology - Post Secondary website that features a survey we use to aid transition planning for students with 504s and IEPs.
- BookShare - Offers free audiobooks to those with qualifying disabilities.
- Learning Ally - Provides human voice read audiobooks for students with a qualifying print disability (e.g., dyslexia, blindness, etc).
- PECS - Communication picture system that is usually used with younger students who have autism.
Information about Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC)
- PrAACtical AAC - Information that is written for therapists and family members of students using AAC.
- LAMP - The Center for AAC and Autism - Language Acquisition through Motor Planning (LAMP) is a therapeutic approach based on neurological and motor learning principles. It is evidence-based for students with autism, uses Minspeak symbols and has its own app.
- Minspeak - This is a language system that creates pictures for core words (verbs and other abstract concepts).
Software and/or Devices
- Don Johnston - Located in Volo, IL, this vendor makes supportive software including Co:Writer and Snap&Read. These are two products that are available to ALL District 86 students with a valid email. Tutorial videos and help are available on their site.
- Prentke-Romich (PRC) - A company that develops and sells communication software and devices such as the Accent, with languages using Minspeak.
- Saltillo - A company that develops and sells communication software and devices such as the NovaChat series.
- Sonocent - Software that will record and support note taking.
- TextHelp - Makers of many Google extensions, including Read & Write Gold and Equatio.
- Toolkit4Transition - An electronic portfolio that students can create and use to highlight their strengths in using technology to support their education.
Technology Providers for AT and AAC
- Adaptivation - A company that makes and sells technology, curriculum, software and switches.
- Attainment Company - A company that provides technologies that support communication and AT.
- Forbes AAC (Part of Forbes Rehab Services) - Alternative option for purchasing AAC devices for students.
- Logan Technologies - Company makes low- to mid-tech devices for communication and offers Braille technologies.
- RJ Cooper - A company that sells adaptive equipment and will construct items for individualized needs.
- Tobii-Dynavox - A communication company dedicated to alternative and augmentative communication. Makers of Compass, Snap&Core and Indi systems.